Saturday, February 2, 2013

Megan's Beaded Designs

 The talent on Etsy never ceases to amaze me! You name it and you can find it on that site. Soaps, cupcakes, clothes, bookcases, and accessories galore. There are is so much talent out there that it can leave a ghoul speechless. Something that always catches my eye are the sweet and twisted artists on Etsy.



I recently got to know Megan of Megan's Beaded Designs. She makes amazing handmade, beaded jewelry. Megan's items are stunning to say the least. They make great statement pieces to add to an outfit, will add to a look for night at the club, and a lot of them would make great gifts for that lady in your life that deserves something special that you won't be able to find anywhere else.



Hey all! They call me Megan. I'm a 24-year-old, newly married graphic designer who resides on the Eastern side of Washington State (the part Seattle is ashamed of.) When I'm not at my day job or working on my handmade business, I like to read (particularly Stephen King), watch touring Broadway productions, and paint my nails. I love signing along to SNL digital shorts, and I collect Barbie dolls even though I'm not 9 years old anymore.


1. How did you get into beading and how long have you been doing this?

I've been beading since I was about 5 er so. My grandfather was really into Native American beading and hand making at the time, and he gave my sister and I a bunch of beads and some how-to books to get us started. I've remained a beading addict ever since (Beading: not even once...)


2. How long did it take you to master this craft?

The awesome thing about beading is there are an infinite number of techniques at my disposal. I'm still learning, and think I always will. As for how long it took for me to feel confident enough to sell my work: a few years. Yes, I was a young 10-year-old entrepreneur at craft fairs, selling seed bead bracelet for literally 50 cents apiece.


 3. What is your process like from coming up with an idea to the final product? Do you start with a pattern idea or colors first and go from there?

It really varies. Sometimes I'm all, "I should probably make more bracelets." So I'll check my current inventory to see what colors and styles I'm lacking and go from there. Other times I let the materials inspire me, or my desire for a certain kind of hair accessory or piece of jewelry (generally brought on by a new dress that needs accompanying.) Yes- I have made a piece because I needed it for an outing that night. XD


4. What item that is currently for sale in your shop is your favorite and why?

My eyeball rings are so fun to wear. They always catch some eyes! (Pun intended.) The green and black is my favorite, hence the reason I use it for my avatar pic on my Facebook page.


5. I really love the eyeball embellished items. Do you think you will make any more items that would appeal to horror lovers? Describe them.

I'm in love with horror-themed stuff. I try not to go TOO overboard (as to not scare off the rest of the populace who are just looking for something sparkly.) I am always happy when creating new lines of rings, hair accessories, and cuff bracelets that featuring staring irises, however. I'm hoping to add more eyeball barrettes in the future, because we all could use some extra eyes in the back of our heads!


6. Are you working on anything new that you would like to share with my readers?

Coming Soon: I'm working on an eBook that will hopefully help a lot of my fellow, overloaded handmade business sellers. The main focus will be on how to sun a successful business while still making time for family, a day job, or whatever else is attempting to pull you in the other direction. I've gotten so much positive feedback from my business-savvy blog posts, that it only makes sense I work on some larger projects such as this. So stay tuned!


7. What advice would you give someone that is new to selling on Etsy?

There are so many sellers on Etsy, and every category is saturated. The main thing to focus on is creating unique products that will stand out. If you appeal to a certain niche, you can hone in on that target audience in your creations, how you market, and where you promote. You won't be wasting time on people who wouldn't be interested in buying your products anyway, and you can build a tribe of loyal followers who go to you specifically for what you sell.


8. Since I am A Ghouls Best Friend, I must ask, what is your favorite scary movie?

This is a toughie, since I love so many. It's probably a tie between Pet Semetery and The Shining miniseries. I love a scary movie with deep themes and a good story that gets under your skin.


Where you can find Megan's Beaded Designs:


MegansBeadedDesigns.etsy.com
Glamour365.etsy.com
SteampunkDream.etsy.com
facebook.com/megansbeadeddesigns
twitter.com/Glamour365
megansbeadeddesigns.wordpress.com
pinterest.com/glamour365


No comments:

Post a Comment