Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gettin Low Brow with Miss Dister

I love art! I could go one all day about the different type of art that I love, but we don't have that kind of time. Lately, there has been an art movement taking over and making a name for itself, and it is hard to ignore. This type of art is called pop surrealism or low brow art.


I remember being first exposed to it in a magazine called Gothic Beauty. There was an article called, "Untamed Imagery: The Art of Mark Ryden." I know this because I still have the Spring 2005 issue and it is currently next my keyboard as I type this. There was something so beautiful and classic about his art, but also strange, unusual, and even a little disturbing. It drew me in like a fly to honey and I have been addicted ever since. I recently met another person who is not just a fan of pop surrealism and Mark Ryden, but creates her own low brow art as well. The artists name is Dahiana and her shop is Dister, but you can call her Miss Dister. I had a few questions for Miss Dister and I learned a lot about this talented artist. So, without further ado, I would like to introduce you to Miss Dister!



My Name is Dahiana, I was born and raised in the Dominican Republic. I live in Boston MA with my husband Michael and our cat. I went to college and got a Bachelor's degree in Advertising. I'm a full time professional artist who specializes in realism, portraits, still life and abstracts. Over the past three years I have developed a new passion for Surrealism, specifically Pop Surrealism (Lowbrow art), Digital Photography and Silkscreen Printing. I love horror movies, photography, crafts and yoga.


1.What kind of items do you sell in your shop?

Mixed media art, screen printing, prints and original paintings.


2. How long have you been an artist?

Almost all my life, since I can remember.


3.If you had to describe your art in only 5 words, what would they be?

1)Whimsical.
2)Intense.
3)Morbid.
4)Sarcastic.
5)Lovely.


4. I am loving the skulls and heart prints! They look like something you find in Grey's Anatomy. What inspired you to create these images?

Well, I've always been fascinated with how intrinsic the anatomy of the human body is, it has a mysterious beauty even a sense of nostalgia, when I create those images because I want to show that even the most ghoulish object can be something beautiful.


5. Do you have an item for sale in your shop that is your most favorite above the rest? What is it and why?

"The Walk", I think it has to do with fact that there are people out there that enjoy this style of art like me or because this was one of my first items when I opened my shop hahahaha.


6. I noticed in one of your profiles that you have a passion for surrealism, specifically pop surrealism or lowbrow art. What is it about this style that you love so much?

I think it is the dichotomy that you feel when you see a piece. There is a darkness that is at the same time so beautiful, breath taking and sometimes funny. This genre for me is an escape from structure, a break from how things should look just because society says so.



7. I also saw some shirts with steam punk images. What is it about this culture that you like and inspires you?

Steampunk is the most amazing movement that I ever seen even though some people think that it has a political agenda. I love the victorian era, the idea of time traveling, the combination of modern technology and old machinery, fantasy and horror and of course I adore the kick a @$ Steampunk fashion!


8. If you were to give an new seller on Etsy some advice, what would you say to them?

Be patient, promote at your own pace, use all the media that you can twitter, Facebook, etc. If you don't know how to use them don't worry eventually you will figure it out and NEVER! NEVER! consider your shop as a " hobby shop", don't let people put your shop in that category. Just because you don't have a gazillion sales every day it doesn't mean that your shop is not good enough or the product that you are offering is the wrong one. Have passion for what you're are doing and you will get results.


9. Is there any artist that you idolize or admire over most others? Who is it and why?

Yes I do! Mark Rayden, incredible artist, mesmerizing art work. Some people say that he's the "god-father" of pop surrealism. When I saw his work for the first time I knew it was okay to let my imagination flow. As an artist who works with realism all the time, it is very difficult for me to let my creativity go sometimes.


10.This ghoul would like to know what your favorite kind of horror movie is and why? Do you prefer a bloody, slasher flick or maybe a good old fashioned haunting in an abandoned hospital?

All of the above! hahahaha, I love horror movies, I get inspiration from them and integrate that in to my work.


If you would like to see what she has for sale, Check out her Etsy Shop! You can also Follow her on Twitter, and Like her on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment