Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Word with Gothic Glass Studio

A little over four years ago I met the man that married two Halloweens ago.  In case you didn't know, when you become involved with someone to the point where you marry this person you get to learn a lot about them and even meet their family. I know, what were the odds! Anyways, I met the in-laws the fall after James, my husband, and I started dating. That following summer James and I went to Georgia and spent some time with parents, Ruth and Lenny. We did the touristy things, went shopping, had some killer eats, and met a few of his parents friends. We met a couple that in-laws are good friends with, Joan and George. Ruth met Joan at a mosaic, tiling class... if I'm not mistaken.  We found out that Joan and George were and still are amazing artists. Their chosen craft is stained glass.

By Joan and George

They have stunning work to say the least. Our family is happy to say we own some of their pieces. Since this trip, James and I have taken a fondness to stained glass and other forms of glass art.

Also by Joan and George

So it should be no surprise that I was very happy to get an introduction to Angie, the owner of Gothic Glass Studio. This lady has some killer pieces to say the least. Angie took a moment to answer a few questions that I had about her and her work and I am very happy to share this info with my readers.


I am Angie Chase, designer and sole owner of Gothic Glass Studio. My feline, Patch, is social media coordinator and book-keeper. I create art glass suncatchers and ArtzyGlazzy™ Jewelry from my home in Nova Scotia. My designs have captured the international attention of those who have an appreciation for unique, one-of-a-kind art. I specialize in originally designed Wicca, Pagan and Goddess symbolic suncatchers.


Gothic Glass Studio prides itself in crafting quality art glass. During a span of over 20 years, I have developed the skills, practice and understanding of the many tools, materials and glass that are essential and valuable in creating quality art.



Glass art is an exact craft. It requires many hours to meticulously draw the patterns and select and purchase suitable colours and textures of glass for each design. Each piece is hand cut and hand assembled by grinding and shaping, copper foiling and soldering each and EVERY piece. The soldered piece is washed, polished and hanging hardware attached. You definitely get what you pay for.


My name, Gothic Glass Studio, refers to an architectural era of ornamental window glass. My designs are inspired by that 13-14 century Gothic emotion and moderates it with today’s culture where the glamorizing effect of the sun and glass remain unchanged.
And...it reflects my inner Gothesque and vampishness, too!


1. What kind of items do you sell in your shop?

Bored with pattern books, I take pride in creating art glass from my own original designs which helps define my business and sets me apart from others. I tend to design from themes that have a spiritual/personal meaning to me.



2. How did you get started in creating these amazing glass creations?

I began the process of learning the craft during summer employment while attending university. It immediately felt ‘natural’ to me. After three consecutive summers working as an apprentice, I started my own home-based business. During phases of my life, I didn’t have the space or the time to work my craft but now I am fully immersed and focused on my art. I am now utilizing social media to market my art.



3. What inspired you to make darker images in your work, such as bats?

The concept and perception of ‘dark’ and ‘light’ are subjective. My bats, as well as my other designs, flow from a joy-filled spirit and reflect and honour Mother Earth and other spiritual entities...with freedom to add the colours. The spectrum or rainbow is neither good or bad/dark or light. I’ve always had an interest and attraction to a reality and imagination beyond the one-dimensional concept of the existence we are generally fed.



4. Where would you say most of your inspiration comes from?

My inspiration comes from my evolving, maturing inner wisdom, a direct translation from the language of my spirit. I am my culture, roots and experience. I re-create those symbolic intra-connections in my designs. I celebrate and honour my existence and world through my art.



5. I think it is amazing to see the final result of your process, your work is stunning. How long does it typically take you to make one of your items, say something the size of your baby bat sun catcher?

Thank you for your compliment. I am always encouraged by and appreciate of feedback. My craft brings me happiness so it is a bonus when others have positive feelings about it too. If I were to make only one bat, it would take me approximately 3 to 4 hours from start to finish. The more pieces in a design, the longer it takes. Sometimes, I work slowly, especially on new designs because I have to think about and plan my cuts. I apply the same amount of mindfulness and positive energy into every piece.



6. Do you have a hard time balancing your normal life with your creative, glass art making life? How do you keep things in balance?

Because I am currently unemployed, I have oodles of time to devote to my glass work. Although I lack a living wage, I gain the time and space to do what I am passionate about doing. I devote many hours of the day ‘doing glass’ including marketing. I also walk and bike and jump at any opportunity to actively engage in life....experiencing events, activities and people. I am living ‘normal’ when creating...it is balance. Everything/life is in balance....even when we think it is not.



7. Have you ever done a custom item before? Would you consider it?

I have worked on many custom designs. They can be challenging because the image begins from someone else and I have to re-create that idea in reality. It can be time consuming deciding on colours and types of glass. I may not even like the subject of the design but I will always put my best effort into the design and the craftsmanship. The point is to create something that will please the other.



8. Are you working on anything new that you would like to share with my readers?

I was sent an image of a Tacca flower on Facebook because its common name is ‘Bat Flower’. Only a few days later, I began sketching the flower and choosing the perfect colours. It is now ready to solder. I really like it, (like most of my panel designs) and I might want to keep it (as they are usually one-of-a-kind) but I will list it in my shop to sale. Business is detaching from the art after it is finished.



9. What is your most favorite item that is currently for sale in your shop? Both out of your sun catchers and jewelry.

My favorite design is the pair of primitive crow/raven with cherry panels. I would love to keep these (crows and ravens are one of my predominate spirit guides) but business is business.



10. This ghoul would like to know what your most favorite horror movie is and why? If you can't pick just one, that is okay too. Lord knows I can't!

Ahhh, now we’re talkin’...I really can’t, not right now anyway. I love love macabre literature (Bradbury, Poe, Straub, Saul, King, and Lovecraft) and movies! I’m especially partial to vampires. I like the oldies like Hitchcock’s, ‘The Birds’. Most people won’t go to the movies with me to see a ‘horror’ movie because I usually laugh when others scream and I start getting a crush on the vampire....yeah, ‘nuff said.


If you would like to know more about Angie and her work, you can find her all over the web!
Check out her Etsy Shop! Like her on Facebook! Follow her on Twitter!


1 comment:

  1. You made me look good ;) Thank you for featuring me. I am drawn to your blog colours and motif....with appreciation,
    Angie (Gothic Glass Studio)

    ReplyDelete