|Clive Barker and Pinhead|
If you haven't seen this movie, watch it. Then watch it again. Then watch the eight sequels that follow, wait a week and watch the first one again. If that seems too intense for you then maybe you should go back to watching B Grade horror films with poor acting and a script that was probably found in a dumpster which was later used as the set. Maybe then you will have developed the certain appreciation for this classic film in horror that is Hellraiser! Regardless, all you need to know is that is a man in a shop tries to sell you an antique puzzle box and his selling schpeel starts with "What's your pleasure" you need to run out of that shop faster than Homer Simpson can eat a donut!
I want to keep this short and sweet so here is some history and horror trivia about Hellraiser.
1. Hellraiser was Clive Barker's first stab at directing a full length film.
2. Hellraiser was based on a short story by Clive Barker called The Hellbound Heart.
3. This film's budget was only $1 million and it earned $20 million.
4. Doug Bradley was offered the role of one of the mattress movers as well as the lead cenobite. He considered the lesser role because he thought it was important for a new actor, such as himself, to have a role where you could see his face. Good thing he got over that!
5. Doug Bradley's character was originally called "Priest", but was changed to "Lead Cenobite". Pinhead was a nickname from the cast, crew, and fans that stuck and became a part of the sequels to follow.
6. This film was originally titled "The Hellbound Heart", but was changed to "Sadomasochists from Beyond the Grave". This title was rejected due to it's overtly sexual nature and "Hellraiser" became the films title.
Well, that's what I have. I hoped you learned something new about this awesome movie that has budded into a nine film franchise. Happy Anniversary, Hellraiser! "No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering."
|Doug Bradley and Clive Barker|