Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Dame of the Dead

I am always on the lookout for new sellers on Etsy, especially ones with darker themes. I love shops filled with skeletons, blood, zombies, severed body parts, bats, mummies, spiders, and anything else your twisted little minds may find creepy. Recently, a lady joined one of my Etsy Teams, The Etsy Massacre! She is the single mother of two that resides in sunny California! By day she is filing away at a law firm and by night she is the shop owner of The Dame of the Dead! I asked her a few questions and I learned a lot about this awesome seller!


 1. What sorts of items do you make and sell?

I have tried to become more diverse with my items. I started out making small clay pieces, and then expanded to wood and glass pendants, dolls, coffins and now paper Mache rings and masks.



2. How long have you been crafting?

I actually didn’t start out crafting until later in my life. I have always been an artist from the time I was a very young girl, but often focused on drawing with pencil.


Crafting came later after I saw 15 years go by and my art with it. Slowly but surely I would learn new things until I am where I am at now. I would say I have been crafting as a small business/hobby for just over a year now.


Lucy

3. Where do you get your inspiration from?

There is nothing I can pin-point. Things have just always sort of popped in my head. I have been trying to challenge myself, making my creations more realistic, more detailed, so I look through medical photography online, or through books. I have been taking photos of items I see around the city or take in things as I go. I have been using fantasy/horror movies as new inspiration as well as of recent.


Book of Shadows

4. What is your most favorite item in your shop? And why? please include a link so I can share it.

Probably my Siamese twin skulls, though it’s hard because I have adoration for many of my items. Each has a little piece of me with them, a little joy infused into each item. It’s hard to see them go. Those little guys almost didn’t make it, after a few mishaps, so they are survivors. and there is something innocent about them I like.




5. Are there any new projects that you are working on that you would like to share?

Always working on new projects. I have a Jeckyl and Hyde idea with clay I am thinking about, many more paper Mache rings and also another coffin


One of her coffins

6. What is your favorite medium/material to work with? paint, resin, fabric, feathers?



I like it all, but I have a soft spot for rhinestones which is funny considering the items I have in my shop. I am willing to try them all though and they have all worked well for me


Pie Necklace made with Heart... I mean love

7. Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years from now?

Happy, still crafting and hopefully a little niche made for myself in the art world


Beatrix

8. What is your favorite horror movie?

Way too many. I am not into gore horror, for the most part. I like the suspense types. A horror movie that can terrify you without the blood. If I had to name a few it would be “Let the Right One In”(original) “Tale of Two Sisters”, “Exorcist” and with tads of gore “Ginger Snaps”


Ouija Board Necklace

9. What advice would you give to a new Etsy seller?

Don’t give up. NETWORK NETWORK AND NETWORK. Create treasuries, get on teams. It’s a lot of work and it will not happen overnight, but if your product is good and you do these things, you will get noticed.


If you would like to see more items by The Dame of the Dead please check out her shop! She also has a Facebook Page loaded with lots of awesome info!

No comments:

Post a Comment