Sunday, August 7, 2011

Meet MrHanz

For the most part, when I recommend Etsy shops they are usually shops that are geared towards those of the female persuasion. This time I am sharing a shop that carries items for both men and women! So take a seat and join me in getting to know MrHanz!


About Me :
Hi, my name is Han. I studied and lived in California before, but now I spend more time in Jakarta as I'm busy with "mrhanz" and also just starting up an event staffing business.
I live here with my family and my two dogs. Love traveling when I have the time off.



1. What types of products do you make?
I make handmade leather goods such as wallets, key chains, belts, cell phone cases, passport holders, belts, watch straps, and etc.



2. How long have you been making these items and how did you get your start?
It all started from a little hobby of mine in 1997. I love watches and I like to wear different straps for different occasions. The best thing about straps is that you can give your old watch a new style just by changing the strap. I've only been selling professionally since last year but the sales has been picking up. Now mrhanz has expanded from strap products to other accessories.



3. What made you decide to use leather versus another type of material?
I personally prefer to wear leather than other materials. It's more durable and will stand up to much more wear and tear. By using various leather materials (calf, buffalo, python, lizard, crocodile), we'd be able to present our customers with unique products.



4. What is your favorite item that you have made? and why? (please include a pic or a link to a pic with it if you have one)
It's hard to pick just one, so I'll just have choose these 2 items, if I may. The first one is this watch's strap made of crocodile hide. The one on the far left.


The second one is this slim wallet, very compact. I can just put this wallet in back pocket and ready to go. Favorite wallet

These 2 items are the ones I frequently wear.

5. I noticed that you have some items that are in pink and purple colors, do you think you might try to make larger items such as clutches or small purses in the future?
Yes, I might expand my products to those areas as well as ipad case in the future.



6. Do you do custom orders?
I do custom orders for watch straps.



7. Where would you like to see your business in 5 years from now? (whether it be with more items, targeting a new demographic, etc)
I've done corporate gifts for local businesses here in Jakarta. I'm planning to target international businesses in the near future.



8. Where do you get your inspiration from when you are designing your items from what colors you use to style of your wallets, for instance?
From life and the people around me. Take the slim compact wallet as an example, I have this friend who came to me and complained that he hated carrying his bulky wallet. He just wanted something really simple and slim.
As for colors, I try to use as many colors as possible because I feel that everyone's choice of favorite color is not always the same. What works for me might not works for you.



9. What advice would you give to a person getting into making handmade accessories?
Just don't give up. It's tough in the beginning, but it'll get better.


If you would like to know more about MrHanz, other items, colors, prices, custom orders, or anything else check out his Etsy Shop and his Facebook Page!

No comments:

Post a Comment